Saturday, August 23, 2008

WONDERVU, COLORADO: AUGUST 21, 2008


Wondervu, by far, exceeded the expectations that its name created.

Just before dawn I woke and submerged myself in the hot-tub. I leaned my head back and fixed his eyes upon the firmament above, black, bottomless and adorned with stars as jewels encrust a crown, infinite, and watched as night became day.

I watched as the sky turned purple, then pale, then pink, then gold. Facing west, toward the Rockies, I watched as, suddenly, the first rays of the on-rushing day broke all at once over the hill behind me like a great luminescent wave cresting across the sky. I watched as, like a washtub filling in reverse, the wave turned the tips of the Rockies gold before flowing down the mountains -- incrementally, inevitably, time-ticking -- until everything, all I could see, was bathed in the sun’s fiery light.

In the distance the mountains, once obscured by night, stood grey and majestic. Splotches of white -- still un-melted snow -- pocketed the grey at the highest points of the tall peaks. A cool breeze blew from their direction, seething into the wind that constantly came from the south. Leaves shimmered on the trees. The sound of a table-saw came to life, and a peek through the woods revealed a man cutting wood next to his cabin up the hill.

I sparked some of the weed our host had so graciously given us, took a deep draught, and sank beneath the water.

Life had never been better.

No comments: